MLCOA readies itself for fast business growth within the burgeoning health care sector
mlcoa is the leading healthcare/medico legal organisation of its kind in Australia. They provide the broadest range of independent medical assessments, optimal healthcare advice, strategies and solutions to corporates, insurers, government and the legal profession.
In a world of increasing medico legal complexity, making decisions without the best possible advice is risky indeed. mlcoa helps its clients to minimise that risk by providing them with first class independent healthcare and medico legal advice.
To facilitate these outcomes, mlcoa has assembled Australia’s most accomplished group of expert medical and medico legal consultants to provide impartial and independent medical evaluations and advice.
A Big Challenge
Chief Information Officer David Camilleri had been with mlcoa only a short time when ownership changed hands. The new parent , Riverside, had a long history of building health companies and had identified mlcoa as a niche health provider with growth potential. David was challenged by entrepreneurial CEO Robyn Walsh to transform the IT Infrastructure to allow for the anticipated fast growth that was expected. Having performed a recent SWOT of the IT environment , David was well aware of the shortcomings and problems that were associated with the incumbent technology.
- A neglected and aging home grown IT infrastructure that needed constant attention and support.
- The IT infrastructure was not meeting the current business needs of the company and would definitely not support the growth aspirations.
- A help desk group that was groaning under the strain of supporting a nationwide business with an extended business day that often went beyond 14 hours.
- A number of evident business risks had been identified and were as yet unresolved.
- An employee user group that was being restricted in its ability to perform its duties adequately.
- An inability of the IT Infrastructure to support much needed new health applications.
How to fix the problem?
After extensive consultation with key business stakeholders to understand the key business needs, drivers and triggers, David built a new IT strategy to encompass not only the infrastructure and operational elements of technology but the business processes , data needs and applications required to allow the company to grow.
Upon further investigation David concluded that to replace the IT Infrastructure in the traditional mode would prove cumbersome , time consuming and would require a huge capital outlay that the business had little appetite for . In addition , MLCOA did not have the technical resources and expertise in house to implement and maintain such a solution. Traditional outsourced Managed Services were investigated and also Cloud Computing.
“We decided that Cloud Computing was an excellent fit for MLCOA as it provides an IT platform that enables growth. If you want to grow , it will grow with you”. David Camilleri, CIO, MLCOA
After surveying a number of Cloud Computing providers , it was decided that many of the larger vendors in the marketplace would be unsuitable. MLCOA decided to look for a mid market supplier who could match the services of the larger players while being more aligned in size and outlook to themselves. They found this alignment with Harbour IT .
Cloud Computing services provided by Harbour IT include the following;
- Infrastructure as a service
- Software as a service
- Desktop as a service
- Back up as a service
- Disaster recovery as a service
The major benefits to MLCOA
- The business has been freed up to grow.
- Consistency of service and business support to all users nationwide.
- Business growth strategy is now supported by a robust IT environment that is scalable.
- A new Standard Operating Environment that can be refreshed regularly as business needs change.
- Minimal capital outlay required.
- An energy efficient environment with a reduced carbon footprint.
- Extended hours help desk environment.
- Thin client desk top environment that has extended life expectancy and is simple to support.
- Minimal exposure to risk factors such as data storage, data integrity and disaster recovery.
- Ability to offer “BYO device” service and support to 260 different consultants .
- Introduction of the latest technologies including online Collaboration tools, Video conferencing and remote Telemed services, an online booking service and workflow services.
David is looking forward to the next round of applications and business enablers that can be introduced to mlcoa. Top of his list is the creation of a Consultant Portal that will greatly reduce the time needed by the consultants to fulfill their duties. Remote login, secure access to patient history with real time data, image storage and/or viewing , and online report creation are just some of the services David is looking at providing.
“With our Cloud Computing solution, our entire user base of employees and consultants is supported and nurtured in the use of the new technology. They feel empowered to enhance the business” David Camilleri, CIO, MLCOA